Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Session FAQ

Newborns:
How old should my baby be?
The best time to do newborn photo shoots is between 6 and 14 days old.  This is because your baby is the sleepiest and easiest to mold into positions at that age.  Also, things like baby acne and colic tend to develop after a couple weeks old.  If your baby is going to be more than 14 days old, just be prepared for a longer session that will require more patience from  all of us.

What should my baby wear?
The best newborn outfits are their “birthday suit,” a covered diaper, or a fitted onesie.  Less is more in newborn photography (don’t worry - if any shots of the baby’s private spots  get taken, they will be destroyed).  Simple accessories such as headbands, hats, bows, tutus, etc. can also look great.  Bring any special blankets, swaddles/wraps, cocoons or props you may want to use.  Also, if you have any larger blankets/throws you would like in the shots to be used as backdrops, feel free to bring them too.  I do have some props and accessories available.

What should I wear?
Mom and Dad (or whoever will be attending) should wear jeans and bring a black shirt and a white shirt.  If you would like to have another outfit in some pictures, feel free to bring one.  Solid, soft colors are ideal.

Where will the shoot be?
I am a natural light photographer.  For newborns, indoor is best.  I can shoot at my home or at your home - whatever is better for you.  If shooting at your home, I would need a large window for light and some space cleared out for backdrop setup.  Have the room warmed up with a space heater or change your thermostat to make it most comfortable for your baby.  (Let me know if I should bring my space heater).

How do I prepare for the shoot?
Feed your baby right before you come and then I will have you feed him/her right before the session begins.  A full baby is a sleepy baby, and sleepy is what we want (at least for a big portion of the shoot anyway).   Have your baby in only a diaper so I do not have to disturb him/her much when I arrive.  Be prepared for your baby to make a mess (poop, pee, and spit-up are expected to get on my blankets - don't worry, they get washed!)  Have burp clothes, wipes, and other supplies available for cleanup.  Lastly, make sure the nursery is nice and tidy just in case we do some photos of your baby in there.

Anything Else I should know?
We will need a white noise machine and some soothing music on if possible to prevent ambient noise from disturbing your baby.  If a sibling will be present, some extra hands to watch the child during the newborn shoot would be ideal.  We want to create an atmosphere for the baby that is soothing without distractions.  Newborn babies are not easy to photograph - don't be surprised if it takes a while for your baby to get comfortable with the atmosphere and posing.  Newborn shoots can take anywhere between 2 and 4 hours.  Unless you kick me out of your home, I do not leave until I am satisfied with what I have captured. :)


Babies and Children:
What should my baby wear?
Anything you want them to wear is just fine. Here are tips for my style of photography if you are looking for more direction:

BABIES: We will take many in just a diaper - bring a diaper cover if you have one.  Bring a plain short sleeve onesie of any color that fits well (not baggy).  Also bring an outfit that is not baggy without graphics on it (so avoid little puppy appliques, for example).

BOYS: jeans, denim overalls, plaid shorts, solid colored shirts, plaid shirts, striped or white shirts (no graphic on the shirt) - color is good, but simple and plain also looks great.

GIRLS: solid colored dresses, fun printed dresses, solid colored or simple printed tops (again, no graphic on the shirt), jeans, skirts with leggings, accessories such as headbands and flowers - color is good, but simple and plain also looks great.
 
(Baby GAP, Old Navy, and Children’s Place are great places to shop for adorable photo shoot clothing).

PROPS: feel free to bring any props you would like to include. Also, hats, ties, headbands, tutus, pearls/necklaces etc. are great additions. Etsy.com has some amazing photoprops to purchase if you are interested.

Where will the shoot be?
I am a natural light photographer. I shoot outdoors (when the weather cooperates) at any location (parks, backyards, on campus, downtown, etc). If you have a special place in mind, please let me know. The best outdoor times are right away in the morning or later in the evening near sunset. This can be flexible and we can make any time of the day work. I also shoot at my home or at your home - whatever works best. If shooting at your home, I would need a large window for light and some space for backdrop setup. We can discuss options at the time of booking.

What can I expect?
Sessions usually last between one and two hours, depending on the mood of the child and how long it takes to get fantastic shots capturing your child’s personality and beauty. If you would like a shorter or longer session, just let me know and we can work out pricing and details.


Families and Couples: 
What should we wear?
Coordinating is important, but don’t be matchy-matchy, such as everyone wearing red and white for Christmas cards. Solid or simple clothing works best, but prints can also look great. Make sure colors don’t completely clash and one color doesn’t stand out too much compared to the others (i.e. hot pink among dull greens and blues). One easy way to decide if you like what everyone is wearing together is to lay them all out on the floor and picture them together on your wall (also, you may want to consider what clothing goes with your decor in your home if you plan to have enlargements made...or there is always the option of black and white photography).

Where will the shoot be?
I am a natural light photographer. With families, I shoot outdoors at any location (parks, backyards, on campus, downtown, etc). If you have a special place in mind, please let me know. The best outdoor times are right away in the morning or later in the evening near sunset. This can be flexible and we can make any time of the day work, but know that the pictures will turn out best near sunrise and sunset.

What can I expect?
Sessions usually last between one to two hours, depending on the mood of the family and how long it takes to get fantastic shots (toddlers and multiple children may make sessions longer). If you would like a shorter or longer session, just let me know and we can work it out. My goal is to get some posed, but relaxed-not-too-“posey”-shots, and also plenty of candids.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Child and Family Photographer
Visit my FACEBOOK PAGE to easily view photos!

Search This Blog

Followers